York Region residents who received their first dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine on or before May 9 will be eligible to book their second doses beginning at 8 a.m. on Monday, June 14.
The latest expansion of eligibility was announced Thursday by the Province and is currently limited to residents of York, Toronto, Peel, Halton, Porcupine, Waterloo, and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph – all of which are considered hot spots for the Delta variant.
Until the new parameters kick in on Monday, second dose appointments are limited to all Ontarians born in or before 1951, and individuals who received their first doses of Pfizer or Moderna on or before April 18.
That expansion was announced last Friday on the heels of 4.7 million doses of Pfizer expected to arrive in Ontario this month, with a further 3.54 million doses in July.
“This reliable and increased supply of vaccines has allowed the Province to rapidly expand access to vaccines in all public health units and through various channels, including mass immunization clinics, hospital clinics, pharmacies and primary care settings, providing convenient access across Ontario,” said the Government in a statement.
“Beginning on June 4, 2021, these groups are eligible to receive their accelerated second dose appointment through pharmacies and primary care settings participating in the vaccine rollout. In addition, individuals who received their first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine and are opting to receive either a second dose of AstraZeneca or a mRNA vaccine can now schedule their second dose appointment at a participating pharmacy.”
Previously, the Ontario government tentatively scheduled the week of July 19 for people who received their first dose between April 19 and May 9; August 2 for first doses administered between May 10 and May 30; August 9 – 16 for individuals between the ages of 12 and 25; and the week of August 9 for people who received their first doses on or after May 31.
“Every dose administered means we are one step closer to the end of the pandemic, and I encourage all Ontarians to get vaccinated and continue following public health advice,” said Deputy Premier and Health Minister Christine Elliott.
A 43-year-old woman is Aurora’s 48th death attributed to COVID-19.
Her death at Southlake Regional Health Centre was announced by York Region Public Health on Wednesday, June 2, after she lost her battle on May 28. She first tested positive for the virus on Sunday, February 21, and experienced the onset of symptoms on April 19.
Her exposure to the virus is attributed to close contact.
As of Tuesday, June 8, Aurora had seen a total of 1,829 cases of COVID-19, 1,769 of which are now marked as recovered. Of the 12 remaining active cases, 11 are attributed to local transmission, close contact, or an unknown source, and 1 to workplace outbreak.